- Arlington Public Library, Liberty Tavern each win two awards
- 6000+ Arlingtonians cast online ballots for Arlington's Best Businesses
- More first-time winners than ever before
ARLINGTON, Va. – More than 6,000 Arlingtonians voted for their favorite local businesses and venues in the 2012 People's Choice ABBIE Awards, the Arlington County Board announced today. The awards, presented by Arlington Economic Development, honor Arlington's Best Businesses in categories ranging from Best Brunch to Best Community Nonprofit. Among the winners:
- Arlington Public Library and Liberty Tavern each took home two ABBIES. Liberty Tavern won in the categories of Best Brunch and Best Business Lunch, while Arlington Public Library won awards for Best Customer Service and Best Family-Friendly Spot.
- Longtime winner Lost Dog Café won in the category of Best Bargain Restaurant, an honor it won for the fourth year in a row.
- Animal Welfare League of Arlington won its first ABBIE in the Best Community Nonprofit category.
Other first-time winners:
- Artisan Confections for Best Boutique
- Trader Joe's for Best New Business
- Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa for Best Place to Pamper Yourself
- Pupatella for Best Pizza
- ARLnow.com for Best Online/Social Media Presence
- Westover Beer Garden & Haus for Best Happy Hour
- Arlington Draft House & Cinema for Best Place to take a Date
- Thomas Jefferson Community Center for Best Place to Work Out
County Board Chair Mary Hynes announced the winners in the 17 ABBIE categories at today's County Board Meeting.
“It's wonderful to see so many Arlingtonians participating in this effort that showcases this year's very best businesses in our community,” Hynes said. “The ABBIES, sponsored by the County's Economic Development department, are just one of many ways the County works to promote and support the stores, restaurants and small businesses that contribute so much to the character of our community.”
The complete list of award winners is available at www.arlingtonva.us/ABBIES. All nomination submissions and voting for the People's Choice ABBIES took place online.
In addition to recognition from the Arlington County Board, this year's ABBIE winners will receive a year's worth of acknowledgment from Arlington Economic Development, including promotion on the Arlington County Web site, in Arlington e-newsletters, Arlington TV spots, newspapers advertisements and special placement in the Arlington County Visitors Guide and Map.