- 500,000+ hours of volunteer service, more than $10 million each year
- County Board to honor seven individuals, two teams on May 13
- Annual Volunteer Appreciation Celebration on June 23
ARLINGTON, Va. -– On May 13, the Arlington County Board will honor seven individuals and two teams for their outstanding service to the community.
- Meg Breeden volunteers at the Arlington County Detention Facility through the Sheriff's Office and Offender Aid & Restoration (OAR). She facilitates courses in parenting skills, stress management techniques, personal growth and practical coping strategies. Her efforts help incarcerated individuals obtain important tools for reentry to the community,
- Jessica Green is a volunteer at the Gates of Ballston Community Center through the Community Outreach Program and the Arlington Education and Employment Program (REEP). She is an ESOL teacher, teaching assistant and special projects assistant.
- Kevin Henry is a volunteer with the Falls Church Volunteer Fire Department, one of the volunteer companies of the Arlington County Fire Department. He is a volunteer firefighter, EMT, instructor, coach and fire prevention educator within the greater Arlington and Falls Church communities.
- Deborah Perkins Jones is a volunteer with Arlington County Libraries, where her efforts support Book Discussion Groups. She manages and oversees program operations and coordinates with staff and volunteers to ensure that groups have access to a variety and diversity of titles.
- Jill Kent is a volunteer Personal Advocate with Aging and Disability Services through the Department of Human Services. She links frail and aging individuals to County services and benefits on a case by case basis, often taking on cases that can last up to six months requiring extensive research, coaching and emotional support.
- Jane Parham is a volunteer Citizenship Class Teacher at the Arlington Mill Community Center with the Community Outreach Program. She teaches students to improve citizenship test knowledge base, test taking strategies and overall confidence while promoting self-sufficiency and community belonging.
- James Terpstra is a volunteer youth basketball coach with the Department of Parks and Recreation. He has coached a young ladies basketball team from elementary school through high school interacting with parents, sports commission members and other coaches with ease.
- Talking Books & Homebound Services volunteers provide support and serve as ambassadors for Arlington Library patrons who are visually challenged and/or physically handicapped.
- VEST Leadership Team volunteers support the Office of Emergency Management with community preparedness education and outreach, volunteer management, emergency activation and exercising. Their work help to engage vulnerable populations in emergency preparedness.
Read more about the Outstanding Volunteers and their contributions.
Celebrating all volunteers
Each year Arlington recognizes the thousands of volunteers who strengthen our community and enhance the services the County delivers. This year's Do You Volunteer campaign focuses on the impact that volunteers have on County services. Volunteers enhance County services by:
- Leading hundreds of hours of summer camp activities
- Helping children improve their reading skills
- Marking storm drains on Arlington streets
- Providing services to Arlington entrepreneurs
- Identifying homeless service needs
- Maintaining ART bus stops
All in all, more than 10,000 individuals volunteer for the County Government each year, they contribute more than 500,000 hours of volunteer service, saving the County more than $10 million each year.
You are invited
The community is invited to the May 13 Recessed County Board meeting, to honor this year's Outstanding Volunteers.
Additionally, all volunteers whose service benefits an Arlington County program are invited to the Annual Volunteer Appreciation Celebration on Monday, June 23 at Arlington Mill Community Center. All County departments very much appreciate all Arlington volunteers and the invaluable contributions that you make to our community.