- Free event highlights renovation, gardening trends
- 80+ home specialists to answer your questions
- County staff to offer code, permitting guidance
- Free antiques appraisal
ARLINGTON, Va. – Home owners, builders and landlords all can learn about trends in home and yard improvements at the Arlington Home Show and Garden Expo. The free event takes place from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sat., March 8, 2014, at the Thomas Jefferson Community Center, 3501 2nd Street S.
The Home Show offers exhibits, seminars and opportunities for one-on-one chats with experts on topics such as remodeling; waterproofing basements; adding security systems; green technologies; replacing windows and outdoor improvements. Exhibits and seminars cover topics both for stand-alone homes and condos or townhouses.
“The Arlington Home Show and Garden Expo offers something for everyone interested in making their home a better place to live. It's a fun way to gather information about home improvement, building and remodeling,” said Arlington County Housing Director David Cristeal. “Since the first show in 2007, more than 6,200 people have taken advantage of this event, which showcases a wide range of products and services.”
Attendees will have a chance to win a Google Nexus 7 tablet, and the first 100 attendees will receive door prizes paid for by sponsors.
New this year
The 2014 Arlington Home Show and Garden Expo offers several new and expanded features:
- Free antiques appraisal – Do you have treasures in your attic? Find out the market value of your antiques, collectibles, fine art and jewelry.
- Understanding Condominium Living Seminar – A real estate attorney will go over sample condominium loan documents and explain what condo living entails, in addition to the condo association's role.
- Art display – Showcase of original works by local artists.
- More booths – More than 10 new exhibitor booths.
More than 80 specialists
Members of the County's Housing, Zoning, Inspection Services and Code Enforcement divisions will be on hand to answer questions and offer guidance on keeping designs compliant with County zoning and permit regulations. County staff will join more than 80 other home specialists, including builders, architects, landscape designers, inspectors, realtors, banks and nonprofit organizations. Master Gardeners from the Virginia Cooperative Office can answer questions about yards, trees and plants.
Bring your specific questions about your home improvement projects to the “Ask an Expert” area. Bring copies of your renovation plans to get custom-tailored advice and to make sure the plans are code compliant.
Classes and seminars
More than 20 free seminars will take place throughout the day. The full schedule is available online, but some of the popular seminars include:
- How to Finance Renovations or a New Home
- “Fast and Easy” Home Plumbing Repairs
- Organic Lawn Care
- How to Stage Your Home for a Smooth Sale
- AARP's Home Fit Workshop – Options to Age in Place
Back by popular demand is The Landlord Seminar, featuring an expert attorney who explains issues related to landlord/tenant laws. Landlords and property owners learn about issues like drafting leases, evictions and tenant screenings. Space is limited, so attendees should sign up online.
The Arlington Home Show and Garden Expo is in its eighth year of bringing together the County, nonprofit and private partners. The event provides support and education for homeowners wishing to improve their homes, and a venue for local companies to showcase their services and products.
The event is sponsored by Arlington County's Department of Community Planning, Housing and Development, and the Columbia Pike Revitalization Organization (CPRO).
Find more information on the Arlington Home Show and Garden Expo website.