- LEED Silver residential, retail project part of Glebe Road transformation
- Project includes extension of North Tazewell Street
- Developer contributing to County’s affordable housing fund
ARLINGTON, Va. – The Arlington County Board today approved a major site plan amendment to permit development of a six-story apartment building with ground floor retail at 650 N. Glebe Road. The building will replace the Goodyear building and adjacent single-family house at the corner of North Glebe Road and North Carlin Springs Road, across from the Ballston Common Mall.
The 139,071 square foot building, located about one-third of a mile from the Ballston Metro Station, will offer 163 apartments and 2,200 square feet of ground floor retail space. The developer, Crimson Partners, proposes retail space extending along the North Glebe Road frontage with the residential lobby and loft-style units on North Carlin Springs Road. The building will include 164 parking spaces in three levels of underground parking. The previous site plan, approved in 1989, called for a four-story office building on the site.
“This project continues the transformation of Glebe Road to a boulevard with a mix of retail, office and residential buildings that is a safer, more welcoming place for people to stroll, shop and dine, ” said County Board Chair Mary Hynes. “This vision, now well on its way, is far cry from the funnel for fast-moving cars that we’ve experienced through the commercial heart of Arlington for many years.”
The Board voted 5 to 0 to approve the site plan amendment.
Developer granted bonus density
The developer earned 19,331 square feet of bonus density for the project by agreeing to seek LEED Silver certification and by providing a 23-foot wide, 220-foot long extension of North Tazewell Street at the west property line at the rear of the site. The street extension, by breaking up one of the County’s largest blocks, begins to provide pedestrian and vehicle access to the interior of the block. A loading dock and the entrance to the building’s underground parking will also be located on the extension of Tazewell, limiting congestion on the busy streets of North Glebe Road and North Carlin Springs Road.
This is the first major site plan to be approved on the west side of Glebe Road in Ballston since the Peck-Staples project at Wilson Boulevard. The site is also within the area being reviewed as part of the American Service Center Site Special Study, which is anticipated to result in a North Quincy Street Plan Addendum later this year.
- Extension of the Tazewell Street—A new street segment will be created to increase vehicular and pedestrian connectivity.
- Affordable Housing Investment Fund— A base contribution of $480,473 to the County’s affordable housing investment fund as required by the Zoning Ordinance.
- Public Art —Contribution in the amount of $75,000 will help support the County’s public art initiatives as described in the Public Art Master Plan adopted in 2004.
- Utility Fund—$42,000 to be contributed to the County’s Utility Fund to support utilities undergrounding at the site.
- Transportation support Improvements—Installation of parking meters, off-peak parking on North Glebe Road, and transportation management measures to encourage residents and retail tenants to live and work car-free.
The project was reviewed by the Planning Commission’s Site Plan Review Committee at four meetings, where Planning Commissioners, Buckingham and Bluemont civic association members, and nearby residents provided valuable input on issues such as the building design, providing retail along the entire Glebe Road frontage, and curbside access for pick-up and drop-off.
To learn more about this planned project, visit the County website. Scroll down to Item 39 on the County Board Agenda to read the staff report.
Project at a Glance
- o The Crimson on Glebe
- o Crimson Partners
- o 650 N. Glebe, LLC
- o The KTGY Group
455 Spring Park Place, #100
Herndon, VA 20170
The KTGY Group
8605 Westwood Center Drive, Ste. 300
Vienna, VA 22182
Type of Project
- One building – mixed-use residential/retail
- 36,957 square foot, l-shaped parcel
- 163 apartments (136,868 square feet residential)
- 2,203 square feet retail
- Six stories above grade, three below
- Building height up to 86 feet, including penthouse
- 164 spaces in a three-story underground garage
- LEED Silver
- o 650 N. Glebe Rd. at the corner of N. Carlin Springs Road
- Ground floor retail along Glebe Road and loft-style residential units along the western portion of the site on Carlin Springs Road
- Varied façade treatment utilizing neutral-toned brick, metal panel and laminate cladding, manufactured stone and glass
- o Widened sidewalks and new street trees along both street frontages
- Extension of the Tazewell Street
- Affordable Housing Investment Fund base contribution of $480,473
- Public Art — $75,000 contribution
- Utility Fund — $42,000 contribution
- Installation of parking meters, off-peak parking on North Glebe Road, and transportation management measures