- Two public hearings in March
- Tax rate, budget to be adopted in April
- Adopted rate will be at or below advertised rate
ARLINGTON, VA – The Arlington County Board today voted 4 to 0 to advertise a property tax rate of $1.021 per $100 of assessed value for Calendar Year (CY) 2013, including the stormwater sanitary district tax. This is five cents above the CY 2012 real estate tax rate.
The Board will hold public hearings on the budget in March and adopt the budget in April. The 2014 fiscal year begins July 1, 2013.
By law, the Board cannot adopt a rate higher than the one advertised, although it may adopt a lower rate.
“In this climate of economic uncertainty, it is important that the Board maintain some flexibility in setting the tax rate for Fiscal Year 2014,” said Arlington County Board Chairman J. Walter Tejada. “In the coming weeks, we will engage intensively with our community on how best to balance necessary service cuts with a reasonable tax rate increase. “
Board acts upon County Manager's recommendation
The Board voted to advertise the rate after County Manager Barbara Donnellan presented her proposed FY 2014 budget. The proposed budget is $1.072 billion, a 2.0% increase from the FY 2013 Adopted Budget of $1.052 billion. It includes funding obligations for Metro, debt, employee compensation increases, and contractual increases; maintains funding for affordable housing (AHIF) and housing grants; and an ongoing funding increase to Schools (2.7%).
The Board also voted to advertise proposed fee changes including:
- Decrease in the household solid waste rate and certain fees related to residential and commercial permitting
- Decrease in the residential solid waste fee
- Fee increases in some parks and recreation areas, including field rentals and trail permits and a change in cancellation fees
- For more information, visit the FY 2014 budget area on the County website.
- March 26 – Public hearing for the FY 2014 budget
- March 28 – Public hearing on tax rates and fees
The Budget public hearing will begin at 7 p.m. on March 26, and the tax rate hearing will begin at 6 p.m. on March 28, both meetings will be held in the County Board Room, 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington, VA.