- Moves provision of residential units to Phase 1 of development
- Office, hotel and nearly three acres of open space in later two phases
- Accelerates provision of 9000 sf public open space
- Better road connections achieved earlier than expected
- Increased on-site affordable housing and AHIF contribution
- Costco, other “big box” retailers to remain for foreseeable future
The Arlington County Board today approved site plan amendments to Pentagon Centre by developer Kimco Realty that allow for a re-ordered phased redevelopment that includes modest increases in residential, proposed retail and open space and a similar decrease in space dedicated to office and hotel uses. The overall density remains largely unchanged.
“This shift in how Pentagon Centre will be redeveloped is responsive to the market environment without compromising Arlington’s needs and plans,” said Arlington County Board Chair Mary Hynes. “We’re excited to be getting open space for residents and better road connectivity for shoppers along with two new residential buildings. Our goal is to enhance the live, shop, play experience in Pentagon City and create a place that fits well on this 17 acre site as we move forward.”
The County Board voted 5-0 to approve the Phased Development Site Plan (PDSP) and Phase 1 site plan amendments. The PDSP amendments include reallocating residential uses to the first phase of redevelopment, and moving the development of planned public open space from Phase 2 to Phase 1 of the redevelopment.
In addition, building heights and layouts have been modified, and the land use mix changed to have less office and hotel uses. The final site plan amendments permit residential uses in buildings originally approved for office development, as well as changes to parking, building footprints, and the provision of public open space.
Shifting residential development to Phase 1, maintaining existing retail
The site is currently home to wholesale retailer Costco and other big-box stores, which will remain in place until their current leases expire. The approved changes are part of Phase I of the redevelopment. Phases 2 and 3 are planned to take shape over the next 20-35 years.
693 residential units planned, open space moved to Phase 2
The newly approved site plan calls for 693 residential units in two buildings. The developer will provide 11 on-site affordable units and will, at their discretion per the County’s state-prescribed housing ordinance, provide additional on-site units or make a $1.7 million cash contribution to the County’s Affordable Housing Investment Fund (AHIF), a revolving loan used to finance affordable housing in the County.
In addition, the development will provide approximately 36,100 square feet of new ground-floor retail uses; and a 426-space, above-grade parking garage. A 9,000-square-foot public open space originally planned for Phase 2 of the redevelopment is now planned for Phase 1. Another, much larger public open space is still planned for Phase 3.
The amendments required revisions to the existing PDSP conditions and a new set of site plan conditions. The Pentagon Centre Urban Design Guidelines also were updated to reflect these new amendments. Phase 1 of development is expected to begin immediately, with garage construction anticipated to begin in early 2016.
The second and third phases of development are expected to occur roughly 20 to 35 years from now, and will involve the demolition and redevelopment of all existing retail buildings (once long-term leases expire), creation of more than three additional acres of public open space, and an expanded street and pedestrian network.
Pentagon Centre is an approximately 17-acre parcel of land adjacent to the Pentagon City Metro Station. The current developer, Kimco Realty Corporation, acquired the site in 2004 with the intention of adding office uses while keeping the existing by-right retail development. In 2007, the County created a phased development site plan and a special general land use plan (GLUP) study for the site. The original site plans were approved by the County Board in July 2008.
The PDSP and Phase 1 site plan amendments were reviewed at the Long Range Planning Committee (LRPC) of the Planning Commission on Dec. 18, 2014, and at the Site Plan Review Committee at six meetings in 2015: Feb. 23, March 16, April 23, May 11, June 8 and July 13.
To read the staff report for this item, visit the County website. Scroll down to Item #48 on the Agenda for the Monday, Sept. 21 County Board Meeting.
Project at a Glance
- Pentagon Centre, a 17-acre site at 1201 S. Hayes Street and 1200 S. Fern Street
- PDSP and site plan amendment requests to permit shifts in land use, building location, project phasing, and site design, as well as height limit and parking and loading requirements for one or more of the buildings
- More than 1.9 million square feet of mixed-used development to occur on-site over the next 35 years
- Includes 693 residential units, 200 hotel rooms, 705,700 square feet of office space and 346,000 square feet of retail space
- Increase overall amount of public open space and create new open space in Phase 1, shifting its delivery from Phase 2
- Existing big-box retail stores to stay intact
- Affordable housing contributions, including base contribution to equal $1.7 million in value, plus 11 on-site affordable dwelling units
- New streetscape on S. Hayes Street and an expansion of 12th Street South to accommodate transitway plans
- Building a first responder network; transit commuter store, solar panels on roof of parking garage and a digital parking notification system
Kimco Realty Corporation
Contact: Geoffrey Glazer, 410-684-2000