- Arlington hosts six Bike to Work Day pit stops
- Capital Bikeshare membership keys now sold at Commuter Stores
- Confident City Cycling classes offered
ARLINGTON, Va. – May is National Bike Month and Arlington is celebrating in a variety of ways.
“Arlington County celebrates biking every day. The County is a great place to get around by bike with more than one hundred miles of multi-use trails, on-street bike lanes and designated bike routes. Even if you don't own a bike, Capital Bikeshare is a convenient option with 69 stations in Arlington and more throughout the region. Biking is good for your health, good for your wallet, good for the environment, and makes for a good community,” said Arlington County Board Chair Jay Fisette.
Bike Month activities include:
Bike to Work Day – May 16
Join BikeArlington in this annual regional event that encourages commuters to bike as a clean, fun healthy way to get to and from work. Over 10,000 riders participated last year. Arlington will host six pit stops that offer music, free food and beverages, giveaways and local exhibitors:
- Rosslyn (Rosslyn Gateway Park, 1300 Lee Highway – 6:30am – 9am)
- Ballston (FreshBikes Bike Shop, 3924 Wilson Blvd – 6:30am – 9am)
- Crystal City (Crystal City Water Park, 1750 Crystal Drive – 7am – 9am)
- Columbia Pike Penrose Square (2503 Columbia Pike – 6:30am – 9am)
- East Falls Church Metro Station – Morning (2001 N. Sycamore St – 6:30am – 9:30am)
- East Falls Church – Afternoon (Tri360 Bike Shop: W&OD Trail at Washington Blvd & Lee Highway – 4pm – 7pm)
To register, visit BikeToWorkMetroDC.org.
Confident City Cycling Classes
To promote safe and fun riding, Arlington County and the Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) are offering bike education classes that teach the skills needed to incorporate bicycling into a daily routine. Courses are also offered for adults who have never learned how to ride a bike. All classes are held at the Quincy St. parking deck, 15th St. N & N Quincy St. Upcoming classes:
- Saturday, May 17 – Confident City Cycling
- Sunday, May 18 – Adult Learn to Ride
- Sunday, June 8 – Adult Learn to Ride
For more information and to register, visit BikeArlington.com and click on “Bike Classes.”
Capital Bikeshare Memberships Now Available for Purchase at Commuter Stores
Beginning May 14, Capital Bikeshare Annual, Month or Daily Key memberships will be available for purchase at any of the four Commuter Store locations in Arlington County and at the Mobile Commuter Store which has stops in Arlington, Alexandria and D.C. New members can sign up with the assistance of the Commuter Store staff and receive a member key fob ready for use immediately. Commuter Stores will offer Capital Bikeshare membership purchases Monday – Friday from 9:30am – 5pm and Saturday at the Ballston and Rosslyn locations from 8am – 2pm.