- Juror questionnaires will be mailed in early September
- Registered voters in Arlington, City of Falls Church randomly selected
- Questionnaires must be completed, returned within 10 days of receipt
- On-line submission available
ARLINGTON, Va. – The Arlington Circuit Court, which includes the City of Falls Church, is beginning its annual juror qualification process. Juror questionnaires will be mailed in early September to randomly selected residents of Arlington and Falls Church. These questionnaires are used to qualify residents for jury duty during court year 2015, which begins late January 2015, and ends in January 2016.
Questionnaires qualify residents for Circuit Court jury duty
- By State law, questionnaires are mailed out annually to a random selection of approximately 11,000 residents of Arlington County and the City of Falls Church.
- Recipients are selected from registered voter rolls provided by the State Board of Elections.
- Questionnaire responses determine a person's eligibility to serve as a juror on civil and criminal trials in the Arlington Circuit Court.
- Jury Commissioners appointed by the Court review the questionnaires to determine eligibility for service, according to criteria established by the General Assembly.
For more information about jury duty, including a list of individuals who are exempt from serving, please visit the Jury Duty page on the County website.
Steps to follow if you receive a Juror Questionnaire
- Read the entire questionnaire carefully, front and back, for detailed instructions.
- Using your Candidate ID number printed on the questionnaire, visit the secure Juror Website at https://egov.arlingtonva.us/jury to complete and submit the questionnaire online (if using this option, do not mail the form in).
- You may also mail the completed form as instructed in the questionnaire.
- The questionnaire is not a summons to appear so please do not call the Clerk's Office asking for an excuse from jury duty. Excuses or postponements to serve at another time during the year can be considered if you are actually summoned to serve as a juror.
- You are required to complete and return the questionnaire within 10 days of receipt. Please complete the form online to save resources.
- Failure to respond to the questionnaire may result in your being summoned to Court to complete the form in person.
Quick facts about jury service
- Normal term of service is one week, Monday – Thursday
- TAverage trial length is 1 or 2 days
- Trial day may last up to 5 p.m., or later, as determined by the Court
- Jurors receive $30 each day they report for reimbursement of expenses.