- County Board Celebrates Our Most Extraordinary Trees
- Arlington Has 299 Notable Trees
The County Board today honored 16 new Notable Trees and their caretakers in an annual ceremony that celebrates some of the County’s oldest, rarest, most beloved or otherwise exceptional trees and the residents who love them.
“Our Notable Tree Program encourages our community to cherish these extraordinary trees – many of which have shaded and delighted generation after generation of Arlingtonians,” said Arlington County Board Chair Mary Hynes. “The certificates and plaques we award their caretakers underscore our County’s commitment to our trees and other natural resources.”
299 Notable Trees registered
Since 1987 Arlington has identified and registered 299 trees as part of the Notable Tree Program, an initiative of the Arlington Beautification Committee that recognizes residents who maintain and preserve outstanding trees. Trees are selected based on their size or age, their historical or community interest, the uniqueness of their species or special significance to their neighborhood.
Although the “Notable Tree” designation does not give Arlington County any authority over trees on private property, the trees may be included in future civic association and neighborhood walking tours. Trees may be nominated based on size, age, species, historical interest or because they have a special significance to the neighborhood.
The Beautification Committee scores trees based on their height, circumference and canopy spread. Healthy trees that score in average range qualify for a Certificate. If a tree scores in the top range for that species, and is located in the yard so that a plaque would be visible to the public passing by, it is awarded a Plaque.
2015 Notable Tree Plaque Winners
- American Sycamore – 1414 N. Buchanan St.
- White Oak – 1830 N. Inglewood St.
- Southern Red Oak – 1207 N. Harrison St.
- Hawkin’s Oak – 5215 26th St. N.
- White Oak – 3059 S. Abingdon St.
- Willow Oak – 816 S. Walter Reed Dr.
- Dawn Redwood – 1812 N. Randolph St.
- Atlas Cedar – N. Adams St., Custis Rd. & 16th St. N.
2015 Notable Tree Certificate Winners
- Willow Oak – 2924 N. Lexington St.
- Tulip Tree – 4105 40th St. N.
- Silver Maple – 2012 N. Kenilworth St.
- Willow Oak – 4024 N. Randolph St.
- Japanese Zelcova – N. Irving St. & 13th St. N.
- Catalpa – 402 N. Cleveland St.
- American Elm – 4120 Nelly Custis Dr.
- American Holly – 3737 4th St. N.