- Will coordinate community efforts to recognize, support Arlington’s active duty military, veterans and their families
- County Manager-appointed committee first of its kind in the region
- Residents encouraged to follow committee activities, get involved
Acting County Manager Mark Schwartz today announced the creation of the Arlington County Military and Veterans Affairs Committee. The Manager is appointing the committee to identify, prioritize and implement programs and initiatives to recognize and support our active duty military population, our veterans, and their families.
The Military and Veterans Affairs Committee will include representatives from County government, local military commands, the USS Arlington, the business community, local, regional and national service organizations and other stakeholders.
“Arlington has always honored and paid tribute to our men and women in uniform, but the time has come to do more,” Schwartz said. “This committee will look for creative, effective ways to serve them and their families as they so nobly and courageously serve us.”
Specifically, the County Manager will direct the committee to work to:
- Support and strengthen the relationship between local active duty and civilian military commands, the local veterans community, Arlington County government, County residents and the local business community;
- Coordinate and utilize Arlington County Government and community resources in support of the local military community in carrying out their missions;
- Develop, implement and maintain initiatives and programs that provide the Arlington community with an opportunity to recognize and honor the service to our country provided by our military members and their families, including, but not limited to Memorial Day and Veterans Day;
- Work with the USS Arlington Community Alliance to serve as the County Liaison with the USS Arlington and her crew; and
- Serve as the chief County Liaison for the Vietnam War Commemoration.
The Committee will be appointed by the County Manager and hold an organizational meeting before the end of the year. Those members of the Arlington community seeking additional information in the interim should contact Brian Stout in the County Manager’s Office at (703) 228-3120.