- 8,375 sq. ft. lot adjacent to park
- 1939 home on lot to be deconstructed
- Park expansion called for in 2005 Public Spaces Master Plan
The County Board today voted to approve the purchase, for $688,710, of property at 6608 18th Street North, adjacent to the County’s Benjamin Banneker Park, for future expansion of the park. The property, near the park’s existing playground, also is adjacent to Four Mile Run stream.
“This is a wonderful opportunity to expand a beautiful park,” said Arlington County Board Chair Mary Hynes. “As Arlington continues to grow, it is critical that the County look for opportunities like this to add to our much-used, much-loved parks and open space.”
The Board voted unanimously to approve the property purchase.
The other parcels along the south side of 18th Street North, from North Van Buren to North Tuckahoe Street were identified in the 2005 Public Spaces Master Plan as potential public acquisition sites, and five other parcels on 18th Street North were acquired for the park between 1993 and 2004.
A modest two-story, gable-front house dating to circa 1920 now stands on the 8,375 sq. ft. lot, which lies on the south side of 18th Street North, between North Underwood and North Tuckahoe Streets. The home will be deconstructed and removed, and the site will be restored and incorporated into the existing park. The County’s Historic Preservation division of the Dept. of Community Planning, Housing and Development has determined that the house lacks individual historic significance.
Acquisition of the property will be funded through the County’s voter-approved Park Bond Fund.
About Benjamin Banneker Park
The open, grassy, 11-acre Benjamin Banneker Park, at 6620 18th Street North, provides access to Four Mile Run and the W&OD and Custis Trails. The park has picnic tables with charcoal grills, a combined school-age and preschool playground, a multi-use field, a stream and a dog park. The park is named after Benjamin Banneker, a free African American farmer, scientist and astronomer who assisted in the survey of the Federal District it in 1791, because the park includes the Southwest No. 9 Boundary Stone for the original Federal District.