Currently 73.8% of Arlington households have responded to U.S. Census, surpassing the 2010 self-response rate. However, an estimated 24,400 households still need to be counted.
Between the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic and the new September 30 deadline for taking the Census, Arlington is hosting Census Palooza II and a series of weekly “pop up” events to help people take the Census. We need volunteers to help reach as many people as possible.
Sign Up to Help
With your help, we can provide numerous opportunities to reach all the members of our community. Social distancing protocols will be in place, and face coverings are required for all volunteers – Arlington will provide one if you do not have one of your own. If you speak a language other than English, please note that when you sign up.
- Census Palooza II – Sat., Aug. 29: Help people take the Census at Arlington’s Census Palooza II on Sat., Aug. 29! We’ll have giveaways, door-hanging distribution opportunities, fire truck visits, and more.
- Sign up to Volunteer with Census Palooza II on Aug. 29
- Census Pop-Ups – The pop-up locations to help people take the Census will be determined on a weekly basis.
- Sign up for Census Pop-Ups through September 30 at various locations.
New Web Resources
- We have updated the Arlington County Census web page in both English and Spanish, with links to taking the Census online and resources you can share with your network. Look for fact sheets, graphics and other resources to share on social media.
- Watch A Call to Action: The Challenge of Building a Complete Count – now available online. The conversation explored the many challenges Arlington faces as we approach the September 30 deadline for a complete count of our population.
Taking the Census takes only a few minutes. Here’s how:
- Online: Go to my2020census.gov. Non-English speakers can select a different language at the bottom of the page.
- Phone: Call 844-330-2020 for English, 844-468-2020 for Spanish, or use these phone numbers to take the Census in 12 other languages.
- Mail: If you received a paper copy by mail, just fill it out, place it in the envelope provided and drop it in a mailbox.
- In Person: At a Mobile Questionnaire Assistance (MQA) station or when the Census Taker knocks on your door.
If you have already taken the Census, please help spread the word and let everyone in your network know how important – and how easy – it is!
The U.S. Census counts every resident in the nation, including right here in Arlington County. As mandated by the U.S. Constitution, America gets just one chance each decade to count its population. The collected data help to determine things like the number of seats Virginia has in the House of Representatives, and how to distribute federal funds to local communities like ours. Take the Census here.