ARLINGTON, VA – The Arlington County Police Department is again participating in the Click it or Ticket campaign to remind motorists about the technology in today’s cars and trucks that is central to safe driving: the seat belt. As part of the national Click it or Ticket campaign, law enforcement agencies across the country will be increasing enforcement efforts from May 21-June 3 to help prevent crash fatalities and ultimately save lives.
Ahead of the start to the summer travel season and one of the busiest travel weekends of the year, motorists are reminded to buckle up. Thousands of lives can be saved each year if every person is properly restrained on the road.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nearly half of the vehicle occupants killed in crashes in 2016 were unrestrained, despite a national seat belt use rate at 90.1 percent. The Click it or Ticket campaign focuses on the remaining 9.9 percent—roughly 32 million people who don’t buckle up each day. Law enforcement will issue seat belt citations to those found in violation of the law during the day, and especially at night, when the percentage of those killed while unrestrained increases to 56 percent.
In 2016, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that approximately 15,000 lives were saved by seat belts in crashes. There is no good excuse not to buckle up, every time, on every ride
For more information on the Click It or Ticket mobilization, please visit www.nhtsa.gov/ciot.