Arlington County thanks the nearly 70 community-based organizations, faith-based organizations, and school-based groups that are helping us distribute almost 50,000 cloth face coverings to community members this summer. The organizations are distributing the masks through their networks and clients. (See the full list below.)
Wearing a face covering continues to be an important step to slow the spread of COVID-19, as it can help keep the wearer from spreading the virus to others. Arlington County purchased face coverings to distribute to vulnerable populations to help ensure that everyone who needs a face cover has one. Nearly 70 organizations responded to the call and have been busy getting the face coverings to people who need them.
All Virginians are required to wear face coverings in public indoor settings, per Governor Ralph Northam’s Executive Order 63.
In addition to providing masks, these organizations also helped provide information about how to access County services including food and emergency financial assistance.
Special thanks to the Arlington Teen Network Board — a program of the Arlington Partnership for Children, Youth, and Families — for their assistance with packing and delivering the masks.
Note: Arlington County is not able to provide a mask to every County resident. If you’d like to support a local business by purchasing masks, see the list of participating businesses.
Face Covering Tips & Resources
- Residents can easily make a face covering from items they likely already own, including scarves, bandanas, old t-shirts, and more. The important thing is to cover your nostrils and mouth with your face covering. And to remember to wash and dry it when you’re done wearing it.
- Check out this video from County Board Chair Libby Garvey, who demonstrates how to make one without sewing.
- The CDC provides written instructions on how to make one (both sewn and without sewing).
List of Organizations Helping Distribute Face Coverings
- AHC Inc
- APAH (Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing)
- Claridge House Senior Housing
- Culpepper Garden
- Hunter’s Park Senior Housing
- Animal Welfare League of Arlington
- Fairlington Citizens Association
- Columbia Pike Revitalization Organization
- Phoenix House Mid-Atlantic
- Community Systems, Inc.
- CRi (Community Residences, Inc.)
- Arlington Presbyterian Church
- Bangladesh Islamic Center
- Branches of Hope CDC
- Calloway United Methodist Church
- Calvary United Methodist Church
- Catholic Charities Migration and Refugee Services
- Central United Methodist Church
- Church at Clarendon
- Clarendon United Methodist Church
- Greenbrier Baptist Church
- Little Falls Presbyterian Church
- Mount Zion Baptist Church
- Resurrection Lutheran Church
- Saint Ann Catholic Church
- Solid Rock Seventh-Day Adventist Church.
- The Food Pantry at St George’s Episcopal Church
- The Salvation Army Arlington Corps
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington Virginia
- Arm & Arm Inc.
- Glebe Community Giving
- Arlington County Medical Society
- Arlington Free Clinic
- Bridges to Independence
- Doorways for Women and Families
- Just Neighbors
- Bonder & Amanda Johnson Community Development Corporation
- Adult Services and Adult Protective Services
- Arlington Agency on Aging
- Arlington Neighborhood Village
- OAR of Arlington, Alexandria and Falls Church
- Aspire! Afterschool Learning
- Home Care Partners
- Meals on wheels Arlington
- The Carlin
- Abingdon Elementary PTA/South Arlington Feeding Group
- Arlington Science Focus School
- Arlington Tech Advisory Committee and Arlington Career Center Parent Advisory Committee
- Barcroft Elementary School PTA
- Claremont Elementary School PTA
- Hoffman-Boston Elementary School PTA
- W. Barrett Elementary School PTA
- Key Elementary PTA
- Randolph Elementary PTA
- Superintendent’s Advisory Committee on Immigrant and Refugee Student Concerns