- 491 new housing units; 22 on-site committed affordable units
- New large retailer, car rental business
- LEED Gold and Energy Star certification
The Arlington County Board today approved a rezoning, site plan and use permit at 750 N. Glebe Road that will bring 491 new housing units, a large retailer and a car rental business to the Ballston neighborhood. The 2.79-acre site, a former auto dealership, will be developed by Saul Centers, Inc. and include private outdoor courtyards and committed affordable units. The developer has committed to earning green building certifications.
“This redevelopment will add new homes and, we hope, a full-service grocery store just three blocks from the Ballston Metro,” County Board Chair Libby Garvey said. “It will enhance the vibrancy of one of the County’s most successful urban villages, and offer residents easy access to transportation options, lively outdoor cafes, shopping and more.”
The Board approved a rezoning of the property from “C-2”, “R-5” and “RA8-18”, to “RA4.8”, Multiple-Family Residential. A use permit was approved to allow a car rental company to operate on site. The Board voted 5 to 0 to approve the site plan, rezoning, use permit.
To read the staff report, visit the County website. Scroll down to item No. 42 on the Agenda for the Sat., June 18 County Board Meeting.
Most of the building’s mass will be concentrated at the intersection of N. Glebe Road and Wilson Blvd. The block-long site formerly was occupied by the auto dealership Rosenthal Mazda.
For more information, visit the project page on the County website.
The project underwent a community-based review process before the Long Range Planning Committee (LRPC), five Site Plan Review Committee meetings and a Site Plan Review Committee site walk-through. The Transportation Commission, Planning Commission, and Housing Commission also reviewed the site plan application.
Project at a Glance
- Site Plan #440
- 2.79 acre site located at 750 N. Glebe Road, between Wilson Blvd. and Seventh St. N. (Note: corrected 06/18/2016)
- New 12-story building; 547,083 square feet of gross floor area
- 62,298 square feet of retail, including a new grocery store and car rental business
- 491 new housing units
- 22 on-site committed affordable units
- Underground parking
- LEED Gold and Energy Star Certification
- $75,000 public art contribution
- Utility Underground Fund Contribution
- Streetscape and utility improvements
- Reimbursement for transportation and parking studies
- Enhanced Transportation Demand Management, streetscape maintenance and new traffic signal
- Wireless infrastructure
- Affordable housing cash contribution
Applicant: Saul Centers, Inc.
Architect: David M. Schwarz Architects