- Arlington family saved this morning by working smoke alarms
- Most fire deaths result from lack of working smoke alarms
- ACFD reminds everyone to install and regularly check smoke alarms
ARLINGTON, Va – Early this morning, smoke alarms alerted a sleeping family to a fire that started in their south Arlington home. The entire family — two adults and one young child — were able to escape without any injuries before calling 9-1-1 from outside the home. Firefighters arrived just a few minutes later to find flames and dark smoke coming from the home.
This family survived because they had working smoke alarms in the home and knew exactly what to do in a fire emergency. According to the National Fire Protection Association, three of every five home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms. This incident is a reminder for everyone that working smoke alarms save lives.
The Arlington County Fire Department recommends that you:
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom and in a common area on each level of your home.
- Test your smoke alarm monthly.
- Change your smoke alarm batteries twice a year.
- Replace all smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Make and practice a home fire escape plan.
- Remember when the smoke alarm sounds — get outside, then call 9-1-1.
If you are a homeowner in Arlington and are unable to install smoke alarms in your home, the Arlington County Fire Department has a program to assist you. Landlords are required to provide working smoke alarms in rental properties. For more information on smoke alarms or to request a smoke alarm installation, visit https://fire.arlingtonva.us/safety/smoke-alarms/.