- Planning, Transportation Commission meetings broadcast live on Arlington TV, starting in April
- Also live-streamed on County website and available on-demand
- County now broadcasting/webcasting County Board work sessions
Starting in April, meetings of the Arlington County Planning and Transportation commissions will begin broadcasting live on the County’s cable channel, and streaming on the County website. The broadcasts/webcasting are part of the County’s Open Government program, which aims to make County Government — and the decision-making process — more accessible, transparent and efficient.
“I’m very pleased to be able to announce this improvement in government transparency,” said Arlington County Board Chair Libby Garvey. “This is one of the first steps in our effort to make it easier for people to participate in these major planning processes. These two key commissions will now be easily accessible — both live and on-demand.”
The two commissions, composed of residents who are appointed by the County Board, advise the Board on issues of importance to all Arlingtonians, including major commercial and residential developments.
- The Planning Commission, established in 1956, is authorized by the Virginia State Code. It assists the County Board’s decision-making on development issues and the use of land, facilities and zoning. It normally meets one or two times a month at 7 p.m. in the County Board Room, Room 307 of the County government building at 2100 Clarendon Blvd. The meetings are open to the public. View the 2016 schedule of Planning Commission Meetings.
- The Transportation Commission advises the County Board on issues related to Arlington’s streets, transit systems, pedestrian traffic, taxicabs and bicycles and how each relates to the County’s Master Transportation plan. Formed in 1972, its members are appointed to four-year terms by the County Board. It normally meets once a month at 7:30 p.m. on a Thursday in the County Board Room, Room 307 of the County government building at 2100 Clarendon Blvd. The meetings are open to the public. View the 2016 schedule of Transportation Commission Meetings.
These commission meetings will be broadcast live on Comcast Channel 74 and Verizon Channel 39.
“This is another great step forward to making our government even more open and accessible,” said County Manager Mark Schwartz. “If you can’t come to Courthouse Plaza on a Monday night at 7 p.m., you can watch the meeting at your convenience.”
County Board Work Sessions
This month the County began broadcasting and webcasting County Board work sessions, including all the work sessions held to discuss the Fiscal Year 2017 Proposed Budget. The work sessions are open to the public and are broadcast/webcast live on Arlington TV (Comcast Ch. 74 and Verizon FiOS Ch. 39). Video of all sessions is archived and available on-demand; go to the section “Budget and Tax Rate Hearings and Work Sessions” and choose any of the archived sessions.